logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Pumpkin Not Pie - Crustless Low Sugar Pumpkin Custard


I love pie but I'm not a huge fan of crust unless it's 'worth it'.  Pie crusts are all carbs and fat and I'm just not willing to eat that way anymore.  Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention, not that custard is new.
Pumpkin Pie is a holiday tradition and much gentler on your figure when eaten crust-less.  I've gone a step further by using Splenda Brown Sugar Blend in place of regular dark brown sugar..

If you don't have fancy ramekins you can just use the old fashioned oven safe custard cups as I have done (see the picture).
All the flavor without all the calories. You'll love it!

Ingredients...
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 27 ounce can pure Pumpkin (798 ml)
  • 1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, packed
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated Ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 can non-fat Evaporated Skim Milk
You will also need...
  • 8 or 9 individual custard cups or ramekins and baking pans to hold them in the oven
  • Tongs to lift the hot custards from the hot water in the baking pans when they come out of the oven.

Here's how you do it...
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F
  2. Break the 4 Eggs into a large bowl and beat slightly.
  3. Add and combine well, the can of Pumpkin, Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, and salt.
  4. Now add the can of non-fat Evaporated Skim Milk and stir until thoroughly blended.
  5. Pour into individual custard cups.
  6. Place the cups in a baking pan.  You may have to use two pans as I did unless you have pan big enough to hold 8 or 9.
  7. Pour water into the pan until the water comes half way up the sides of the cups.
  8. Bake 50 minutes.
Using tongs, carefully remove the custard cups, one at a time, onto a cooling rack.

Serve as is or with a dollop of a fat free whipped topping.

To store, cover each custard cup with plastic wrap with the wrap touching the surface of the custard.  This will keep a skin from forming.

3 comments:

Winstrol Stanozolol said...

Great recipe, thank you for the healthy tip.
This got me a bit confused:
"Using tongs, carefully"

Thongs?

Winstrol Stanozolol

The Balaboosta said...

Winstrol, I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. It's one of my favorites.
My comment in the recipe "Using tongs, carefully remove the custard cups, one at a time, onto a cooling rack." was to warn people to carefully remove each custard from the hot water, one by one, onto the cooling rack using TONGS not THONGS! LOL I suppose you could do it wearing a THONG, and if you do please take pictures!!! LMAO Thanks for the chuckle.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe and love it! I added 1/2 tsp vanilla and used ginger paste; next time I may reduce the sugar slightly as it seemed a bit too sweet. Thanks much!