logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Vegetable Stir Fry

Start with the basics and then be creative!

Ingredients...

  • 1 onion, chopped or thinly sliced
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 large Portobello mushroom (or shroom of your choice), rough chop

Vegetables:

You can use a variety from whatever is in your refrigerator.

Figure 1 and a half cups of raw vegetable per person.

Here are some suggestions...Use one or combine several to suit your tastes.

  • Brussels sprouts, washed, peeled, and quartered and/or...
  • Baby Bok Choy , washed, dried, and cut bite size pieces and/or...
  • Zucchini cut in 1 inch chunks and/or...
  • Cauliflower, washed and cut into florets and/or...

  • Eggplant, peeled and cut in 1" chunks
  • Asparagus, cut in 1" lengths

(if you use the long Chinese eggplant you do not have to peel it)

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste

Here's How You Do It...

  1. Prepare your vegetables.
  2. Heat the skillet over medium.
  3. Pour the olive oil in the heated pan.
  4. Add the chopped onions and cook 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
  5. Add the chopped garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
  6. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook another minute.
  7. Add the cut vegetables cook for 5 min, toss and cook another 5 minutes until the chunks are caramelizing and becoming golden brown .
  8. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Be Creative - Toss in a couple of extras such as...

...a handful of chopped sweet red pepper and/or...

...a handful of frozen corn and/or...

...a handful frozen edamame (soy beans) and/or...

...a handful of grated sweet potato

Be Daring and Try some new flavors...

...add a teaspoon of cumin or curry powder in addition to the salt & pepper.

No comments: