logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Shallots & Garlic


It's interesting that so many people cringe when you mention Brussels Sprouts. This might have something to do with the way they were introduced to this vegetable. But just like everything else, there are ways to make everything taste good. First of all Brussels Sprouts are good for you. This food is rich in vitamins, folate, and best of all, they are chock full of fiber.

You can steam or boil them but I like to fry them until they caramelize and their edges get crisp and golden brown. Cooking them with shallots and lots of garlic takes these little cabbages to another level of delicious.

To See Details: RIGHT CLICK ON THE PHOTO to open and enlarge in a new window.

Ingredients...

  • 1 pound (10-12 large) Brussels Sprouts, washed, trimmed, and quartered.
  • 4 small Shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 4-6 cloves of minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt & Pepper
Here's how you do it...
  1. Heat your skillet over medium heat.
  2. Add the oil.
  3. Add the sliced shallots, stir and cook 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add the minced garlic, stir and cook another 2 minutes
  5. Add the Brussels Sprouts, cut side down
  6. Sprinkle with Salt & Pepper
  7. Allow to cook, undisturbed 2 minutes
  8. Cover and reduce heat to Low for 5 minutes.
  9. Uncover, raise the heat back up to medium and toss.
  10. Toss occasionally and cook another 5-20 minutes until the edges become golden brown and crisp.
  11. Taste and adjust Salt & Pepper to taste.
Serve & enjoy!

No comments: