logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Rose's Brooklyn Cheesecake


Everyone's claims that their mom makes the best cheesecake in the world. Well, guess what? I'm no exception. My mom's cheesecake IS the best you've ever eaten if you like the dense New York variety.
My mom was born and raised in Brooklyn. For those of you that are from there or have been there, you know that's where the best of the best comes from. From bagels & bialys to knishes & pizza...you can't beat the flavor of all things Brooklyn.

Graham Cracker Crust
Ingredients...

  • 1 1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter (OR margarine)
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar (OR 1.5 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Here's how you do it...
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl...Add the melted butter and brown sugar to the Graham Cracker Crumbs.
  3. Mix until blended thoroughly.
  4. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9" spring form pan. (OR by spoonfuls into a cupcake pan lined with papers.)
  5. Bake at 350F 8-10 minutes.
Cheesecake
Ingredients...
  • 1 pound (2 cups) pressed cottage cheese (farmer cheese)
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I use Splenda Sugar Substitute)
  • 1/2 cup milk ( I use skim milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
Here's how you do it...
  1. Reduce the oven temperature to 300F
  2. Put all ingredients in your blender and mix for a couple of minutes or until smooth.
  3. Pour the batter onto the prepared crust in the spring form pan or cupcake papers.
  4. Bake for:
  • 45 minutes at 300 degrees F for spring form pan
  • 20-25 minutes at 300F for standard cupcakes
  • 15-20 minutes at 300F for mini cupcakes
Topping
Ingredients...
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1/4 cups sugar (OR Splenda Sugar Substiture)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Here's how you do it...
  1. Mix the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla.
  2. When the cheese cake is done, spread the mixture on top.
  3. Return the cake to the oven for another 7 or 8 minutes.
  4. Allow to cool and then refrigerate.
Get creative... top your cheese cake with the pie filling of your choice. Cherry works great!

For a double recipe...
Increase lemon juice to almost 1/3 cup.
Increase baking time to one hour.

No comments: