logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Nana's Homemade Creamy Rice Pudding

What could be more comforting than a warm bowl of sweet rice pudding. My father loved making rice pudding. He used to save the white rice that came with Chinese take out and make pudding with it the next day. Today you can buy pretty good ready-to-eat rice pudding in the refrigerator case of your local grocery store but nothing can come close to the flavor and texture of homemade variety. You can use individual custard cups or get fancy and chill your pudding in tall parfaits or martini glasses for a more dramatic presentation. This is a super simple recipe with amazing results. Your family won't believe you made it yourself.

Ingredients...

  • 1 Quart Milk
  • 2 Cups Water
  • 3/4 Cups Rice
  • Hot water for soaking the rice.
  • 1 Cup Sugar (or substitute Splenda here for a sugar-free and lower calorie pudding)
  • 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • dash salt
  • Cinnamon to sprinkle for garnish
  • Optional: 1/2 cup golden Raisins
Here's how you do it...
  1. Place the rice in a medium sized bowl, cover with hot water and allow to soak for 20 min.
  2. Using your fingers, in the rice/water, rub the rice so it breaks into smaller pieces.
  3. Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan bring the quart of milk and 2 cups water to scalding over medium heat.
  4. Add the drained crushed rice, sugar (or Splenda sugar substitute), and dash of salt.
  5. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently for 40-60 minutes until the pudding thickens.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
  7. Stir in the raisins should you chose to use them.
  8. Transfer to individual ramekins (custard dishes) or a 2 quart casserole.
  9. Sprinkle (dust) with cinnamon.
  10. Allow to chill in refrigerator or serve warm.
This can be made a day ahead but I recommend covering the pudding with a cover or plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.

2 comments:

jacob625 said...

I am interested in making your rice pudding with splenda, how much splenda should I use?

The Balaboosta said...

Jacob, Thank you for your inquiry. Splenda measures in volume equal to sugar. It is identical. To be sure it's sweet enough for your liking, start by mixing in the 1 cup of Splenda as in the recipe, then taste it. If you want it sweeter only add in small increments such as a tablespoon more at a time until you've reached your desired sweetness. I hope your pudding turns out delicious and if you have more questions don't hesitate to write thebalaboosta@gmail.com