logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Cranberry Pecan Oat Lace Cookies


I love cookies. This particular one brings back memories of being in my girlfriends' kitchen when she told me about a recipe she read in a magazine and made it. These cookies became an instant hit!
I will give you the full calorie version and the modified variety which I made today for my Mah Jongg friends who are coming over tonight for a game.

Cranberry Pecan Lace Cookies store well in an airtight container and may be frozen for up to 6 months.

Ingredients...

  • 2/3 cup flour (I use 1/3 cup whole wheat and 1/3 cup white.)
  • 1 and 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter or margarine (I use a healthier choice substitute.)
  • 2/3 cup light brown sugar (I use Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
  • 2/3 cup sugar (I use Splenda Sugar Substitute)
  • 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (and/or get creative and snip up apricots in addition to or in place of 1/2 the cranberries)
  • Parchment, cookie sheet, spatula, and oven preheated to 350 F.
Here's how you do it...
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and oats. Set aside.
  2. In a mixer, cream the butter (or substitute) and the sugars. Scrape the bowl and beat for another 30 seconds.
  3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on slow until blended.
  4. Fold in the dry flour mixture you set aside earlier..
  5. Stir in the dried cranberries and pecan pieces.
  6. Spoon by teaspoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet 3 inches apart. On a standard sheet I put 8 per sheet (do not overcrowd or they will melt together).
  7. Bake at 350F for 8-9 minutes. Watch the first batch to see how your oven bakes it. My oven has these finished at just under 9 minutes. Every oven is different. As always place the racks in the center of the oven to bake.
Yield: 64 cookies

Time Saving Tip...
While the first tray is in the oven, prepare another piece of parchment with the next batch ready to go in when the the one in the oven is done. Slide the parchment with the hot cookies onto your stove or other flat surface. Now slide the next parchment and batch right onto the hot cookie sheet and place it back in the oven to begin baking the next batch. Repeat until all the batter is used up.

No comments: