logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Citrus Poached Salmon


Salmon is so versatile! There are many ways it can be easily prepared, each one special and delicious in it's own way. Salmon can be baked, pan fried, poached, or chopped (after baking) to make Salmon Croquettes (cakes). The high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids in Salmon will help lower your bad cholesterol, LDL, and elevate the good HDL.
Like our mom's always told us.. "everything in moderation".... Sprinkle fish into your diet today.
Ingredients...
  • Salmon, As many portions as you need and will fit in your covered skillet.
  • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
  • Lemon Juice - from 1/2 lemon
  • Fresh Dill - just a small handful , chopped
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste.
Here's how you do it...
  1. Pour the orange juice and lemon juice in the pan.
  2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat on your stovetop.
  3. Rinse and dry the salmon.
  4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  5. Lay the salmon portions into the simmering juices.
  6. Sprinkle the chopped dill over the salmon.
  7. Bring back to a simmer , cover and reduce heat.
  8. Simmer, covered for 5-7 minutes depending on thickness of fillet and desired doneness.
I prefer my salmon on the rare side of done.  Overcooking will cause salmon to be dry.
What could be easier?
Serve and enjoy.
See my "Simple Poached Salmon" for another great recipe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in the citrus poached salmon recipe, what do we do with the lemon juice? add to the orange juice in the pan?
It is not mentioned in the recipe

The Balaboosta said...

Thank you for your comment. You were right! I have now corrected the instructions. I like to add a touch of lemon to balance the sweetness of the orange juice. Have you tried preparing the salmon with this method yet?