logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Mushroom Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pastry Pizza

This is a great appetizer idea for buffets, paired with a great salad, or as a rich and savory side dish to any meal.   Of course you can replace the goat cheese for a combination of Gruyere and Grated Parmesan. Use your imagination and get creative by adding some ingredients ideas of your own.  Chopped anchovies, capers, or olives work very well with the caramelized onion and mushroom flavors.

I buy use puff pastry that is "pre-rolled".  You could also replace the puff pastry with a thinly rolled pizza dough, or a canned refrigerator pastry like Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.

Ingredients...
  • 1 Defrosted sheet of Puff Pastry dough
  • 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Large Sweet Onions sliced very thin
  • 2 pounds sliced or chopped Mushrooms
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 3 ounces soft Goat Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Here's how you do it...
For the puff pastry:
  1. Place the rolled out Puff Pastry dough on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Create an edge on the pastry by rolling it over slightly and pressing with a fork.
  2. Pierce the dough with a fork every couple of inches to prevent bubbles from forming.
  3. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven.
For the topping:
  1. Heat a frying pan to medium.
  2. Add Olive Oil.
  3. Add thinly sliced Onion and stir every minute or so, cook until translucent.
  4. Reduce the heat and continue to cook for about 25 minutes until golden.
  5. Add the minced Garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6. Add the sliced Mushrooms and cook until they no longer look raw.
  7. Season with Salt & Pepper to taste.
  8. Spread the onion/garlic/mushroom mixture on the pastry but leave about 1/2 inch border.
  9. Sprinkle on the crumbled Goat Cheese.
  10. Bake for an additional 10 min or until the crust is golden and  the cheese has melted.
  11. Cut with a pizza cutter.
  12. Serve and enjoy.

2 comments:

joyofkosher said...

Is it worth using puff pastry for a pizza rather than pizza dough, it has more fat and I just wonder if it is necessary?

I would love for you to check out my new website, http://joyofkosher.com the largest jewish food community, you can post some of your recipes and include links to your site. I am a Dietitian too so I appreciate your interest in health and applaud you for your weight loss success.

Tamar Genger

Unknown said...

Gorgeous and delicious combination of toppings for a pizza and with puff pastry too, yum.