logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

The Best Baby Back Ribs - Sugar Free




My son's words were..."best ribs I ever ate in my life". What can I tell you? They're good.
I used to make ribs slathered in sweet barbecue sauce but since I changed my lifestyle and eating habits, I found ways to leave out the unnecessary carbs. If I want a touch of that BBQ sauce flavor I simply use a dipping dish. These ribs are 'fall off the bone' tender and mouthwatering delicious.
And here's a time saving hint.... When I come home from the grocery store with two full racks of ribs. I cut each rack in half and I do the boiling portion of the cooking immediately. Then I freeze the halves we're not eating that night. The next time we're in the mood for ribs, half the cooking is already done!

You'll need a pot big enough to submerge the ribs in water. This is why I cut the rack in half. It fits more easily in the pots I like to use.

Ingredients...

  • Baby Back Ribs, 1/2 rack per person is usually ample. (beef ribs cook up the same way)
  • Olive Oil to coat
  • Steak seasoning mix (I use Montreal Style but any steak seasoning mix will do fine)
Here's how you do it...
  1. Cut the racks in half. (This makes them easier to handle)
  2. Submerge them in a big pot of water.
  3. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to medium and allow to simmer for at least one hour. If you have time let it simmer for 1 and a half hours but don't go much longer. If you do, the meat will fall off the bone in the water and then you have a mess instead of ribs.
  4. Prepare a baking pan lined with foil.
  5. Using tongs carefully remove the ribs from the pot of water. (YOU CAN STOP HERE AND FREEZE THE RIBS, start with step #6 after you defrost)
  6. Place them on the foil lined pan with the arc up.
  7. Drizzle approximately 1 teaspoon of oil on each half rack and rub to coat using your fingers or a basting brush.
  8. Sprinkle with steak seasoning mix.
  9. Turn them over and do the same thing to the other side. Now the racks are arc side down.
  10. Cover the pan with foil.When you're ready to finish:
  11. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
  12. Remove the foil cover and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
  13. Turn the ribs over and continue baking for the last 15 minutes.
They're done! Serve with your favorite salad and/or veggie and you've got a finger lickin' delicious meal.

For a really special treat...serve with some oven baked sweet potato fries (recipe coming soon).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I wanted to grill but the weather messed that up. Your recipe was easy to follow. I wasn't using a rack of ribs, but it worked out all the same.