logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sarah's Vinaigrette Dressing or Marinade

I first tasted this amazing salad dressing at my girlfriend's house.  Sarah was hosting that weeks Mah Jongg game and she prepared a light lunch which included a tossed salad.  I watched her prepare this vinaigrette just before she served it.  It's so simple and the flavor is out of this world.  It is perfect for Nicoise Salad but I also use it tossed with any greens and as a marinade for fish or chicken.    I love recipes that are multi purpose.

You can make a double batch and store it in the refrigerator in a jar or cruet.  Remember to take it out of the ice box about 15 min before you are going to use it so the oil softens and the dressing can be shaken up.

With her gracious permission I share with you ...  Sarah's Vinaigrette.


Ingredients...
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon granulated white or brown sugar (I use Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Here's how you do it...
  1. Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar (or Splenda).
  2. Slowly drizzle olive oil and whisk until emulsified.
  3. Refrigerate until needed
To double and triple the quantity, just double and triple the ingredients. 
Everyone has different taste buds so you can adjust any of the ingredients to your liking.


No comments: