logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Restaurant Review - THE HOMEWAY SODA BAR


995 Mount Pleasant Road
Toronto, Ontario
416-488-3242

Tonight we dinned at a small restaurant planted right in our neighborhood. I've driven by The Homeway countless times but never stopped to check it out. Today there was a little write-up in the Toronto Post and we decided to give it a try.
WOW - There wasn't one item served to me that I didn't like. Everything was really perfection.
To start, we had a lovely server who was friendly, polite, and a wealth of information about the food offered on their menu and tonight's specials. The restaurant was clean and nicely appointed with old world charm textured ceiling and coffers. The chairs were extremely comfortable and the general decor was welcoming and warm.
I chose the Meat Loaf Dinner for $10. What a value! They served me two thick slices of their luscious and hearty loaf. It was almost as good as my own. I had my choice of potato and I chose the 'au gratin' , which was a layered work of art with a crisp and tasty herbed crumb topping. It was super satisfying and equally as delicious. The meal also came with a scrumptious medley of fresh vegetables (green & yellow string beans, leeks, what looked like yellow zucchini, and sweet red peppers) sauteed in oil and herbs. My partner ordered the Lamb Shank Dinner at $14 and he was extremely happy with his choice. The lamb was succulent and tender, almost falling off the bone. For his starch he chose the mashed potatoes and he wasn't disappointed. I must also mention the fresh warm bread basket that turned out to be an unexpected pleasure. To finish things off we shared a Mumble Fruit Crumble, for desert, which came to the table topped with confectioners sugar and mint sprig. This was a delightfully fresh berry torte with a delectable crust. Again, the effort and care put into cooking this food was more than obvious and it really sparkled through in both presentation and flavor in both our meals. Based on tonight's most pleasant experience we'll be visiting and eating at The Homeway again, real soon. More photos are on the way!

No comments: