logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Garlic Shrimp with Pasta

Did you know that a  3 ounce serving of boiled shrimp has 84 calories, 1 gram of fat, 0 grams of carbohydrate and 17.7 grams of protein?  This makes shrimp a great choice.

Shrimp is very versatile.  Hot or cold, with or without sauce, in a salad or stew, fried, steamed, boiled, baked,  or chopped, shrimp is delicious and a gift from the sea.

To make a healthy version of Garlic Shrimp with Pasta, use the healthier options such as olive oil and brown rice pasta.

Ingredients...
  • Pasta 
  • 3/4 to 1 pound of small Shrimp (Fresh is best but I do use the already cooked frozen shrimp to save time and mess.)
  • 5 cloves of Garlic sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup Margarine (OR butter if you prefer)
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (equiv to 4 tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed (or bottled) Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped or dried Parsley.
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
  • pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
  • Salt to taste

Here's how you do it...
  1. Prepare your favorite pasta according to package instructions.
  2. Shrimp... If  using frozen shrimp, defrost according to package instructions. If you are using fresh, peel, de-vein, and rinse.
  3. Prepare the garlic in thin slices.
  4. Heat a skillet to medium.
  5. Add the margarine.
  6. When it begins to foam, add the olive oil.
  7. Add the sliced garlic and stir occasionally until it just begins to get golden edges.
  8. If using fresh shrimp you would add it at this point.  If using prepared frozen shrimp you will add them at the end.
  9. Sprinkle on the lemon juice, paprika, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley, and salt to taste.
  10. Stir until heated.   If using fresh shrimp they will be done when they turn pink.
  11. If using prepared frozen shrimp add them now to heat.
  12. Toss with prepared pasta until all is coated.
This recipe pairs well with a fresh salad.

No comments: