logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Passover Banana Cake with Nuts - Sugar Free or Not - Passover Recipe

Here's is yet another fantastic dessert option for your holiday table. Banana lovers will eat this one up!
Ingredients...

  • 7 eggs, separated (whites in one small bowl, yolks in another)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda Sugar Substitute)
  • 1 cup mashed banana
  • 2/4 cup Potato Starch
  • another 1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Here's how you do it...
  1. Separate the eggs into two small bowls
  2. In a mixer, cream the egg yolks with the sugar (or Splenda sugar substitute)
  3. Add and mix in the mashed bananas and potato starch.
  4. Add and mix in the salt & lemon juice.
  5. Mix in the chopped nuts.
  6. Set this bowl aside.
  7. Preheat your oven to 350F.
  8. Prepare a 9x13" cake pan by greasing with margarine or cooking spray.
  9. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and 1/2 cup of sugar (or Splenda) until you get stiff peaks.
  10. Using a spatula gently fold this mixture into the batter in the other bowl combining the two.
  11. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
  12. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes.

3 comments:

I. Zuckerman said...

Hello. I made this recipe(Passover Banana Cake with Splenda) and it smelled and looked amazing. While cooling off it completely DEFLATED. What went wrong????

The Balaboosta said...

I'm thinking it might have had something to do with the eggs. Room temp? Separated properly? Let me think. I'll be making it again in a few weeks, I'll let you know.

Howard said...

Just tried this recipe yesterday for Passover, using Splenda. Worked perfectly...tasted good, too! I just used the same overall precautions you use when making a soufflé. Thanks for the recipe!