logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Roasted Sweet Peppers



Brightly colored peppers offer a sweet and crisp flavor to a salad. These same peppers can be oven roasted into a succulent and delicious addition to your vegetable repertoire .

When I see them on sale I buy a bag full of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers. I roast them, peel them, and then freeze them in small portions in sandwich bags. I can pull out a baggie anytime and add it to whatever I'm making.

If you've ever bought roasted peppers in a jar you will be amazed at the difference in flavor when you make it yourself. It's not complicated at all . Give it a try.

Ingredients...

  • Red, Yellow, and/or Orange Sweet Peppers, cut in half, seed core removed.
  • 5 -6 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • Extra Virgin Olive oil to coat
  • Kosher Salt & Pepper

Here's how you do it...

  1. Pre-Heat your oven to 375F
  2. Line a baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment or foil.
  3. Arrange the peppers skin side up on the pan.
  4. Distribute the garlic cloves in between the peppers
  5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
  6. Sprinkle with Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper
  7. Bake 45 minutes until the skins start to turn dark.
  8. Remove from oven to cool .
  9. Remove skins.
  10. Serve and/or freeze.

No comments: