logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Pork Tenderloin Schnitzel and Mushroom Israeli Cous Cous with Toasted Pine Nuts


Earlier this week I showed you how to make Herb Encrusted Roast Pork Tenderloin. Today I made something totally different with tenderloins. Whether you make schnitzel from chicken, pork, or the classic veal version, "wiener schnitzel", you are going to please whoever is sitting at your table.

Rather than coating this 'tender' meat with unnecessary carbs in the form of bread crumbs, I lightly dusted each piece with whole wheat flour, salt, and freshly ground pepper. They were quick fried in just a touch of extra virgin olive oil and served with a creamy mushroom gravy.

Some refer to this dish as 'cutlets'. Latinos call it empanizado. The Italians make the same thing for veal or chicken parmigiana. I'm serving my schnitzel with Israeli Cous Cous with garlic, mushrooms, and pine nuts. On the side we're having a simple salad made from steamed and chilled cauliflower.

Pork Tenderloin Schnitzel

Ingredients...

  • Pork Tenderloin
  • Whole Wheat Flour
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Olive oil for frying
  • 1 can low fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1/4 cup skim milk

Here's how you do it...

  1. Cut the pork tenderloin in 2 inch sections.
  2. In a plastic bag, or between 2 sheets of plastic wrap... pound out each section of meat until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick.
  3. Sprinkle both sides of each piece with salt and pepper.
  4. Dredge through the whole wheat flour.
  5. Heat your pan to medium on your stove top.
  6. Put olive oil in the heated pan.
  7. Using tongs carefully place each flour dredged piece into the pan.
  8. Do not overcrowd the pan. Generally 3-4 pieces will fit comfortably at one time.
  9. Fry on each side until golden brown.
  10. As the pieces are done remove them from the pan and cover on a plate with foil.
  11. When all the meat is cooked and out of the pan... pour in the can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
  12. Add the 1/4 cup skim milk and stir to mix until blended and the mixture has simmered for a few minutes and appears bubbly and thick.
  13. Spoon over your Schnitzel to serve.

Click here for my recipe Israeli Cous Cous with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts

No comments: