logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Banana Latkes (pancakes) Sugar Free


Any way you slice 'em, I love bananas! The banana is the world's most popular and most often eaten fruit. They are full of potassium and fiber, which we can't get enough of these days. Because they are easily transported, peeled, and consumed, the banana fits into our fast paced world.

Besides being delicious there are many health benefits to eating bananas. They provide our bodies with an immediate source of energy due to their sugar content. As an added benefit, because of their high fiber content, that energy boost lasts longer than most other fruits and/or sugary snacks.

Bananas are good for your blood and help prevent anemia. They are good for your normal bowel function especially when you have had a bout with diarrhea (Bananas have a firming quality). Also, research has shown that bananas benefit your bones, kidneys, eye sight (in the prevention of macular degeneration), ulcers, heartburn, morning sickness and more (health benefits of the banana).

My mom used to make these simple banana latkes (pancakes) for me as a quick energy snack or meal. It was also her way of using up ripe bananas! I've modified her method by substituting whole wheat flour for the white variety or matzo meal she used to use on Passover. I've also replaced the sugar with Splenda Sugar Substitute both in the batter and for the dusting on the finished product (as you can see in my photo).

This is a very child friendly recipe. Get your kids involved. They're going to love these latkes and even more so if you let them help prepare them. Even small children can mash the banana and mix the ingredients. Have fun!

Ingredients... (for 8 small pancakes)

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil or healthy spread for frying.
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon fat free milk
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour OR Matzo Meal if during Passover.
  • 1-2 tablespoons Splenda Sugar Substitute (depending on your desired sweetness)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
  • 1/4 cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Splenda for dusting the latkes when they're done.
Here's how you do it...
  1. Assemble your ingredients and heat a medium skillet to medium.
  2. Mash the banana with a fork.
  3. Add the egg and milk , mix until blended.
  4. Add the whole wheat flour (or matzo meal), Splenda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Using the fork, mix until thoroughly blended.
  5. Pour the oil into your skillet.
  6. Drop batter by heaping tablespoon onto the heated oil in the skillet.
  7. Flip them when you see the edges just barely starting to turn golden brown.
  8. Lower the heat under your skillet slightly as not to burn the latkes.
  9. Remove from pan onto a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
  10. Dust with Splenda Sugar Substitute for a beautiful and sweet presentation.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled as needed.
Get creative... if you like chunks simple mash part of the banana and leaves some in bits.
Serve with slices of fresh banana and berries.
If you like chocolate in your latkes simply add a few of the mini chips to your batter.
There are a million ways to do it. Use your imagination.

Enjoy!

No comments: