logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies


For the last several years I've been working on changing my lifestyle which includes the way I eat.
Out of necessity I've had to modify some of my regular faves to meet my new eating habits.
I no longer eat white anything. No white flour, white sugar, white bread, white rice, or anything white other than the white of an egg.
My mother was a diabetic and she loved peanut butter cookies too. She begged for a good cookie to enjoy with a cup of tea. Together we worked this one out and I must admit, they're delicious.
If you've got a hankering for a cookie with non of the guilt, then you've got to try this recipe.

Ingredients...

  • 1 cup low fat peanut butter
  • 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
  • 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
  • 2 small or 1 extra large eggs
  • pinch salt
  • Optional:  Chocolate Chips or Hershey Kisses

Here's how you do it...

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
  2. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper to fit.
  3. In your electric mixer add the peanut butter, Splenda, eggs, and pinch of salt .
  4. Hint: Measure the dry Splenda before you measure out the peanut butter so you don't have a sticky mess.
  5. Mix on lowest speed for 1 1/2 minutes and then increase speed one notch for 30 seconds more.
  6. Add the oats and blend.
  7. Drop by heaping teaspoonful (or roll small balls) 2" apart onto a parchment lined cookie sheet (for no mess clean up).
  8. Using the back of a fork, gently press down to create the traditional crisscross pattern forming the cookie into a flatter shape.
  9. If you are going to use chocolate, press one chocolate kiss or a few chips on top of each cookie.
  10. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 8-10 min until the edges are golden brown.
  11. To cool you can slide the parchment with the hot cookies onto a cool surface.

Great with a glass of ice cold skim milk!

Enjoy the guilt free pleasure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gawd.. your cookies look fabulous! I'd love to try one of your recipes. Thanks for sharing this one out.

Trek Across America said...

We are full-time RVing. 8 months from Oregon, through the South, and now in Indiana. Just made your rhubarb crisp-delicious!!! Your recipes all look so healthy and so inviting. Will continue to go to your blog-thank you!!!!