logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Make Ahead Egg Casserole

We are always looking for way to make entertaining easier. Making things ahead of time can really take the pressure off and will allow you to enjoy your guests.

Years ago my daughter was hosting a brunch and she decided to make each guest 'eggs to order'. How ridiculous that was. The food was great but she spent the entire morning in the kitchen. Worse yet, no one could eat at the same time. That sparked the need to find a great brunch egg recipe that would eliminate the insanity on 'game day'. There are few recipes more simple than this one.

This Egg Casserole is one of those recipes that everyone loves. Every time I make it I'm asked for the recipe.

If you have left over cooked veggies like asparagus, add it in. Be creative and put your own twist on it.

Ingredients...

  • 2 dozen eggs or egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup milk (I use fat free)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) margarine/butter/or equivalent
  • 1 cup sliced sauteed mushrooms (1 pound uncooked) (saute' in margarine/oil combo until soft)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet peppers (or some of each)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onions/scallions/or shallots
  • 3/4 pound shredded or cubed cheddar cheese (or blend your favorites - Try 1/2 lb cheddar with 1/4 lb Gruyere).

Here's how you do it...

  1. Prepare a 9"x13" oven safe casserole dish with cooking spray or margarine and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl beat the eggs, milk, and salt until well blended.
  3. In your largest non-stick frying pan melt the margarine/butter/or equivalent on medium heat.
  4. Add the eggs. Stirring frequently slowly cook them to a soft scramble. You may want to reduce your heat a little so they don't cook too fast.
  5. Pour the softly scrambled eggs into the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
  6. In a medium bowl with a fork blend the sauteed mushrooms, green/red pepper, chopped onion, and cheese.
  7. Evenly distribute this mixture over the soft scrambled eggs in the baking dish.
  8. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
  9. Bake covered with foil at 250F for one hour.
Uncover when ready to serve.

No comments: