logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Spinach Ricotta Quiche (With or Without Crust)

This is one of my "make ahead" staple recipes whenever I'm having guests for brunch . It can be prepared the day before and then heated or served at room temperature at party time. I make this without a crust because I try to avoid carbs these days  but you can, just as easily, pour the mixture into a prepared pie crust.


Be creative! Make the recipe your own. For example, if you have sliced mushrooms or left over cooked asparagus...cut it up and throw it in.

Depending on how low-fat and/or cholesterol conscious you are, consider substituting Egg Beaters (egg substitute) in place of the eggs and use the low-fat versions of the cheeses and cream.

I will mention it again in the recipe but a key factor to success here is draining and squeezing out as much liquid from the spinach as possible. I actually allow the cooked spinach to cool in a strainer, then I squeeze it in paper towels to get it as dry as I can.

Ingredients...
  • 2 10 ounce packages of frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons margarine/butter/or equivalent
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt OR powdered chicken soup mix
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 large eggs OR Egg Beaters (egg substitute)
  • 15 ounce container Ricotta cheese (low-fat variety is healthier)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup cream OR low-fat evaporated milk
  • cooking spray or margarine for greasing oven-safe 9"x9" casserole dish

Here's how you do it...

  1. Prepare frozen chopped spinach according to package instructions. Cool & drain (so you don't burn your hands) and squeeze out all the liquid till it is as dry as you can get it.
  2. Heat your saute' pan to medium.
  3. Add the margarine/butter/or equivalent till melted.
  4. Cook the chopped onions until translucent. (Optional: This is where you would add a handful of sliced mushrooms if you choose to use them.)
  5. Add the well drained spinach, kosher salt, ground nutmeg, and black pepper and blend well.
  6. Remove from heat.
  7. In a large separate bowl blend together the Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, evaporated milk (or cream), and beaten eggs (or egg substitute).
  8. Add the cooked spinach mixture and blend thoroughly.
  9. Prepare a 9"x9" oven-safe casserole dish with cooking spray or a little oil.
  10. Pour the entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish (or pie crust).
  11. Optional: If you want to prepare this with a matzoh bottom crust...dip an entire sheet of matzoh in beaten egg and lay it into the prepared dish before adding the spinach mixture.
  12. Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 45-55 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
  13. Serve either hot, cooled, or reheated.
  14. If you are making this the day ahead, cool, cover, and refrigerate.

No comments: