logo design

Gallery Slide Show

What is a Balaboosta?
Balaboosta (n.)(bah-lah-b00-sta) A Yiddish term meaning the perfect housewife, homemaker, wonderful mother, cook, and gracious hostess. She does it all and does it well.
I make simple food with easy recipes and I like to try new things. My family and friends love my cooking and always ask me to share, with them, what I know about food, flavor, and technique.

I'm not a professional chef and I've had no formal culinary training. What I know and do in the kitchen comes from three women...Nana, Grandma Della, and Rose, my mom. Each one of them knew more about putting a meal on the table than any fancy chef in a white hat. They were the ultimate Balaboostas.

What I offer you is a lifetime of experience in the kitchen with my compliments and theirs. I hope they'd be proud. I will bring you my recipes as I make them with photos of the actual food I'm preparing. I'm no professional photographer either but I promise, my food will speak for itself in every picture.

The food on my table isn't stacked in a trendy tower.
Instead, my food is stacked with flavor and full of my passion for cooking. So please come in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy.

To see amazing detail in any photo just click on it!
Don't forget to SIGN MY GUEST BOOK at the bottom of this page and/or LEAVE A COMMENT (be sure to leave your email address if you'd like a response)

Disclaimer: While most of my recipes are "Jewish Style", I do sometimes cook with pork. This might have been a great disappointment to some but my grandmothers knew that I live in modern world. I light Shabbos candles religiously but I have to admit...I do not keep a Kosher home.

Click here to RETURN TO MY MOST RECENT RECIPES
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Balaboosta's Sugar Free Banana Sour Cream Coffee Cake


I grew up baking with my mother. We made all kinds of cakes and cookies. The root of this recipe is my mother's Classic Sour Cream Coffee Cake which I modified to create a healthier version. The result is a moist, dense, and delicious guilt free cake.


One of my mottoes in life is "Save where you can and Spend where it counts." That relates here to baking cake.

I've replaced sugar with Splenda Sugar Substitute, the white flour was replaced with whole wheat, in place of standard margarine I used a healthy choice, and the choices of 'how low fat can you go' are in the grocery stores. Pick the level of fat you're comfortable with.

You can fancy this recipe up for company by simply adding a drizzle of dark chocolate or a dusting of confection sugar.

Ingredients...

  • 1/2 pound of margarine (your healthy choice)
  • 2 Cups Splenda Sugar Substitute (or sugar)
  • 4 eggs (add them one at a time from a small bowl to avoid shells)
  • 1 pint of sour cream (fat level of your choice)
  • 3 mashed overripe bananas
  • 4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
  • Cooking spray to 'grease' the cake pan.
Swirl & Topping (in a separate small bowl)...
  • 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Substitute
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Here's how you do it...
  1. Cream the margarine and Splenda Sugar Substitute until smooth.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time cracked first into a small dish to prevent shell bits
  3. Add the Sour Cream and mashed bananas.
  4. Add the flour one cup at a time.
  5. Add the Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Vanilla and mix until thoroughly mixed.
  6. Pour 1/2 the batter into greased (sprayed) bundt or tube pan.
  7. Sprinkle 3/4ths of the topping over batter and using a knife cut in and swirl.
  8. Add the rest of the batter.
  9. Sprinkle with the remaining 4th of the topping and repeat a gentle swirl with the knife.
  10. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 50-60 min until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
  11. Set cake in it's pan on a cooling rack.
Tip...
  • Allow to cool before attempting to remove the tube from the pan.
  • If you are going to drizzle chocolate do it after the cake has cooled.
  • If you are dusting with confection sugar do it while the cake is warm.
  • Serve with a cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of ice cold milk!
  • Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

balaboosta ey. :) i came across ur blog and saw your banana cake. Looks good! thanks for sharing this one out. Ived been looking for sugar free desserts that me and my family would love to enjoy! Your post greatly helps a lot!

thanks again,
janna

The Balaboosta said...

Hello Janna
Thanks for writing. I'm glad you like my recipe and I hope it inspires you. Transforming your favorite recipes into Diabetic Friendly ones is simple. Just replace the ingredients you don't want with ones you can enjoy. The flavor is so similar and without the two next to each other to compare, your family will never know the difference. Come back and visit soon! The Balaboosta